Cleansing the home and creating an atmosphere pleasing to the Lord
- Take a Spiritual inventory of your current living space.
If your heart and home are to be a sanctuary for God, you need to learn how to avoid or at least minimize your intake of the world. Get rid of or limit the following: Scripture tells us that our hearts are to be a sanctuary for the Lord 1 Chronicles 22:19. Although we (Christian’s) live in the world we do not wage war against the flesh. 2 Corinthians 10:3. We should be aware of potential stumbling blocks. Anything that keeps you from the Lord can be a stumbling block. A huge tool that the enemy uses to distract us is our media intake:
Texting /social networking Product catalogs
Worldly music Video games
- Remove anything in the home that the Devil can use as a tool to get to you. These items should be removed from any home dedicated to being a sanctuary for the Lord. Having these items in the home can hinder the Lord’s work, see James 1:21 for scripture refrence:
- Things connected to your past life, articles of affection, rings, letters and old pictures
- R- or M-rated or otherwise inappropriate DVD’s and video games/collections
- Worldly music
- Computer hard drives and mobile devices
A good rule to stand by is “When in doubt, throw it out”.
Install internet filters on your devices. *Recommended: Covenant Eyes*
- Make the Lord feel welcome by intentionally paying attention to the atmosphere in your home.
- Spend time in prayer often. Communication with the Father on a consistent basis invites His presence. Set aside a special place to pray (make a prayer closet).
- Listen to worship music in your home throughout your day.
*Recommended Hillsong United, Vineyard, Chris Tomlin, Kari Jobe*
- Incorporate family devotions and prayer time weekly.